RECORDING HINTS -- written about using GarageBand -- BUT
these Hints help increase your skills in ProTools, Logic, etc.
after recording music without a TriCK (MIDI ONLY info)
focused on typing the correct song filename,
played a fantastic track....
and THEN realized that you FORGOT to change the DEFAULT KEY?
If you try to CORRECT the key now so the SCORE will be correct,
your already recorded music will change in sound.....
Result: Your music score may have so many sharps or flats in it
that only a college music major would want to try it.
This hint shows -- You DON'T have to re-do music!....
....even though the GarageBand program makes you think you do.
After you've created a beautiful music track, if you look at the score (fancy GB wording: in the Notation View), you CANNOT simply change the GB key.
Changing the tempo or bottom half of signature (1/4 or 1/8 ntoes, e.g.) is FINE -- all notes stay the same,
but if you change the key, GarageBand transposes all your music to that key.
For projects with only MIDI tracks (hence ability to create score):
EASY FIX so that the score's signature shows the key you want
but your recorded music won't change:
1. SAVE your project. Just in case you want to revert to the existing file :)
2. TIGHTEN your view (the slider under the top window) so you can see
all or most of your track. (It also helps to do a Track > Hide Track Info for long tracks.
If in the Loop Browser, first Track > Show Track Info....
another of those weird hints not in all instruction guides.)
EASY - But be sure you're at TOP of project:
3. Hit HOME (to be in Measure 1, Count 1). Click on first track name to be sure you're at top.
4. In MENU, choose Select all tracks (dark green... the track, NOT the notes in the track).
Then CUT. Hey, now you understand that suggestion to first Save!
4. Select Control > Show Tempo (if you're not already there).
5. Change the Key to whatever you like.
6. GO BACK to be sure Track 1, Measure 1 is where you are. Just select Edit > Paste.
YOUR KEY CHANGE FIX IS NOW DONE - THE SCORE MATCHES KEY YOU WANT.
Your original tracks... all of them.... are now pasted in exactly as they were....
NO transposition done after you changed the key.
Now when you check the score, it most likely looks a lot easier to play!
Lots of Examples to hear free at http://www.DianaDeeOsbornesongs.com/
An earlier version published 19 August 2011.