RECORDING HINTS -- written about using GarageBand -- BUT
these Hints help increase your skills in ProTools, Logic, etc.
What do you do without a fancy ($$) program that does pitch correct?
Especially if the vocalist cannot return to sing that section again?
FUN HINT on how to DISGUISE the note.
You probably have several instruments playing simulataneously with the vocal track.
1. Pick the single-note instrument, such as flute or sax.
Piano with all its notes is ok but not as effective in catching the listener's attention.
2. Go to that instrument's notes that surround the slightly-off vocal note.
3. Ensure that the instrument's track at that point does NOT
repeat / include the correct vocal note! After all.... the singer MIGHT have followed it....
4. Create harmony notes at this area with the instrument track.
Notes can go above and/or below the vocal note.
"Busy" (like 1/8th notes) can be a friend, but not required .
5. Adjust the volume of the instrument's notes so that they
stand "above" the vocal in the surrounding area somewhat --
not enough to be really noticeable, but enough to detract attention from the vocal.
6. If still needed, open the volume track, open the audio region to be 'wide', and reduce the volume of the offensive note:)
And of course, if all else fails....
call the vocalist in to re-sing the piece,
or learn to just enjoy the fact that music is to be fun, not always perfect!
Lots of Examples to hear free at http://www.DianaDeeOsbornesongs.com/
©2018, 2012 DianaDee Osborne; all publication rights reserved