RECORDING HINTS -- written about using GarageBand -- BUT
these Hints help increase your skills in ProTools, Logic, etc.
I had to learn a lot of tricks by trial and error. EVERY one I know who writes music has been very frustrated at times by trying to get the "music in my head" into Garage Band, to share with the world. I'VE LEARNED SOME REALLY EASY TRICKS, and just want to share, in case it makes *your* life more fun as you record your music!
No cost, no commitment, no registration input boxes!
Just ideas from one musician to others!
ENHANCE TIMING HINT 1 (MIDI tracks only.... the PIANO ROLL screen with "squares") -
The "fancy" word for getting your timing
right on the beat is called QUANTIZING.
This feature is in the bottom left corner when you hit the snowflake at the bottom of your GarageBand screen. Why do you want to do this?
To make the drum kits hit exactly "on" beat with your music notes
(IF that's what you want your music to do, of course!).
A super-quick method for NON-syncopated music... BUT it does NOT work for jazz and blues, sadly!:
If you can join every region on your MIDI track, this is faster.
However you might not want to.... a hint as to why will come soon!
For each region on your one MIDI track:
1. Ensure that the signature (like 4/4) is correct so that the measure bars will be in the right places.
2. Select your track.
3. Select the snowflake in the bottom left corner to show the editing music feature.
4. If it's not already showing, press the Score button to show actual music notes.
This method works well for Piano Roll.... but not in *this* hint:)
5. Touch your cursor to "CAPTURE" a single note (it turns green when selected).
6. Go to your top GarageBand menu and select Edit > Select all. (Or type the shortcut apple-a).
7. Every note in the region will now be green.
The "Enhance Timing" label now says "Align to".
Click on the up-down edge of the bar to change "none" to "1/8 note"
or whatever is the smallest (shortest) note in your piece.
Now your MIDI notes are right on the beat!
8. ( IF YOU DID NOT JOIN all the regions in your MIDI track, just repeat steps 1-7 for each region.)
Now it's time for the more detailed work,
but you're already a lot closer to matching whatever drum track you choose.
Hints for DETAILED Enhance Timing will be provided in Hint 2.
Lots of Examples to hear free at http://www.DianaDeeOsbornesongs.com/