RECORDING HINTS -- written about using GarageBand -- BUT
these Hints help increase your skills in ProTools, Logic, etc.
How to get EFFICIENCY for grouped-
notes Library tracks like "Nature Sounds":
Per Track, such as the note for RAIN & for THUNDER on two different tracks,
or for individual notes used in DRUM KITS to fully control each MIDI note's sound.
At the end of Part 2, you had created all needed DUPLICATE TRACKS (Step 6d).
7. NOW YOU'RE READY FOR CONTROL! ....
see NEXT BLOG (January 9)
FIRST STEP IS A QUALITY CHECK... Ensuring you didn't move any notes off their beat:
a. Select the solo button (headphones symbol) for the ORIG track and every duplicate track.
b. Play. They should be simultaneous.
c. Fix if they aren't.
If tracks don't match, one or more tracks didn't begin in the right place....
that's a hint for fixing easily that has to wait til another day, sorry!
But most likely they fit. Future steps assume the tracks all match :)
8. MUTE the ORIG track and slide it to the bottom of your tracks, just as a future reference.
You need to have the notes section open ("snowflake" button) and Piano roll showing (no music note symbols). In this example, the notes are
A#2 (Thunderclap) A2 (RainHard) and G2 (RainLIGHT)
DUPLICATE TRACK #1 (A# Thunderclap)
9. Select the first duplicate track (example: Thunderclap). Put the red marker near the end of the final track with your sounds and Play until you get to the final note("chord") of the track, ensuring that you can see it in the Piano Roll area.
10. Select the second-to-the-top note so it turns darker green. Put your cursor right after that note, hold down your right mouse button (and KEEP holding it through this step), then drag to the left until every note of the 2nd from top is highlighted AND with mouse button still down, drag downward until every note below is highlighted.
11. REMEMBER you can't use your mouse to delete notes; go to Edit>Delete. What is left is ONLY the notes that were on top. Example: Only notes on the track are A#, labeled A#2 if you hold the cursor on the green MIDI line note for a moment to see the note name and velocity (loudness).
DUPLICATE TRACK #2 (A = RainHard)
12a. Repeat steps 9, 10 and 11 to delete all notes on the top "row). (Example: Delete all A#2 notes.)
12b. Then repeat for the 3rd "row" of notes. (Example: all G notes). Now the only notes left are those that were originally on the 2nd "row." Example: The only notes on the track now are A, labeled A2 by GB.
DUPLICATE TRACK #3 (G = RainLIGHT)
13. Repeat steps 9, 10 and 11 for the top two rows notes
(Example ........ all A#2 and A2 notes now deleted).
Now the only notes left are those that were
originally on the 3nd "row." Example: G2 notes.
You now have one track per sound for EXACT control:
You can fade in or out as needed, raise volume,
even add special effects to a single sound,
such as giving that thunderclap a reverb that bounces people to attention!
Lots of Examples to hear free at http://www.DianaDeeOsbornesongs.com/